Ulcerative colitis is most often diagnosed in people young and working age (from 15 to 40 years). How to prevent and treat this disease? This conversation with the doctor-gastroenterologist of the Zaporozhye city hospital № 1 Evgeny SPIRIDONOV.
- What kind of disease, colitis, and how is it dangerous?
- Colitis is an inflammatory disease of the inner (mucous) membrane of the large intestine. Acute colitis proceed quickly and violently, chronic, long and slow. Acute inflammation of the colon often simultaneously with inflammation of the small intestine (enterocolitis) and stomach (gastritis). Colitis are different: ulcer, infection, ischemic, medicine, radiation. Patients colitis are at high risk of developing colon cancer.
- What are the causes of this disease?
- The emergence of this disease promotes intestinal infection, long-term use of some antibiotics and other drugs, malnutrition, abuse of spicy food and alcohol. And dysbacteriosis of the intestine, worms and foci of infection in the gallbladder and pancreas. Affects mental and physical stress, wrong day.
In chronic colitis damage of the intestinal mucosa result of various factors: circulatory disorders of the bowel wall, poor diet, food Allergy. It was observed that chronic inflammatory bowel disease occurs more often among people who have relatives with the disease, which gave grounds to assume the presence of hereditary predisposition. Moreover, there have been some genes that have the potential to be responsible for the presence of this predisposition.
- Evgeny Nikolaevich, what are the symptoms of colitis?
- The first sign of any colitis - abdominal pain. This may disturb the rumbling or bloating. Violations of the chair: constipation, diarrhea, etc., In stool sometimes appears mucus or even blood. Man feels lethargy, weakness, in the most severe cases may increase the temperature. Acute colitis lasts from several days to several weeks, chronic is longer.
- What is the diagnostics and treatment of the disease?
- First of all, it is necessary to pass feces analysis, by which you can judge how correctly the intestines and does intestinal infection. Treatment of any colitis begins with the appointment of a special diet. Further tactics depends on the specific cause of the disease. In the case when the disease has led intestinal infection, may be prescribed antibiotics. If colitis caused by prolonged use of drugs, medication overturned.
In chronic colitis used antispasmodics (in particular, no-Spa), regulators of the intestinal motility, Antidiarrheals (e.g., loperamide, Imodium), anti-inflammatories, such as sulfasalazin. In severe cases, glucocorticoid hormones. In addition, may be appointed physiotherapy (thermal treatment), psychotherapy, and also sanatorium-resort treatment. In rare cases, surgery is necessary to remove the fragment of the colon.
Is there a prevention colitis?
- It is timely treatment of the acute form of the disease and the lengthening intervals between exacerbations in chronic. For this purpose it is necessary to stick to the diet, provide timely sanitation of the oral cavity, sports. Exclude products containing harmful food additives; try to keep the ratio of carbohydrates, proteins and fats was 4:1:1. Portions should be minimal. But to eat it should at least three times a day, with particular emphasis on the Breakfast. Eat more raw vegetables and fruits that are rich in fiber, which is so necessary for the development of intestinal microflora. Limit alcohol consumption to a minimum.
- Is it possible to treat colitis folk remedies?
- To reduce the pain and soothe the nervous system will help coniferous baths for 10-12 minutes three times a week (7-8 procedures). Will help eliminate bloating vegetable and fruit, freshly prepared juices. Daily is recommended to drink two glasses of pumpkin juice.
Fresh fruit and vegetable juices tasty and useful. But doctors advise not to overestimate their healing power, as juices, first of all, are the foods. Juice therapy does not cure the disease, but keeps the body in a healthy condition.
To get the juices useful substances and vitamins, it is not necessary to drink liters of such experiments over the body can harm. Reasonable rate from a few tablespoons of up to three cups a day, depending on the form of juice.
Juices are better to use for 30-40 minutes before meals or between meals. Especially carefully this recommendation should be followed to sweet fruit juices. If you drink the sweet juice after lunch, he can increase the fermentation in the intestines and cause bloating.
Freshly made juice should be drunk immediately, in addition to the beet. Even short-term storage in the refrigerator reduces their therapeutic value, although the taste, however, may not be changed.
Freshly squeezed carrot juice is the king of vegetable juices. It is especially useful for children and people with weak immune systems and problem skin. For better absorption of carrot juice must immediately to eat some fatty foods. Best salad, dressed with vegetable oil. Do not abuse carrot juice. In day it is recommended to drink not more than half a liter of carrot juice. For vitamin prophylaxis enough rest of the glass. Freshly squeezed carrot juice is contraindicated in acute gastric diseases and diarrhea.
Nutrients beet juice stimulates blood formation (education, development and maturation of blood cells), promote normalization of the nervous system stress, overloads, insomnia. Also this juice is a good tool for the prevention of constipation. But in fresh juice of beetroot is harmful compounds that are dissolved at contact with air. Therefore, before the use of beet juice need at least 2-3 hours to stand in the refrigerator in an open container.
Some people beet juice is contraindicated. Sometimes it causes nausea, vomiting, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, General weakness. To get used to concentrated beet juice must be done gradually, starting with 1 tablespoon a day. Before use, it should be diluted with boiled water or broth hips. You can mix it with carrot, cabbage, Apple, plum or pumpkin juice. Kidney disease, ulcerative disease of the stomach and duodenum beet juice is not recommended.
Tomato juice stimulates the work of the gastrointestinal tract, reduces the risk of cancer. It is very useful for pregnant and nursing women. Tomato juice should be drunk for 20-30 minutes before meals, since it increases the willingness of the stomach and intestines to digest food. Add salt reduces the healing properties of juice. Instead of salt, you can add chopped garlic and fresh herbs: dill, parsley, coriander. Contraindicated tomato juice with acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, pancreatitis, cholecystitis.
Cabbage juice is used in the form of heat as a means to prevent acute ulcerative disease of the stomach and duodenum. Warm fresh cabbage juice is recommended to rinse your mouth with stomatitis and inflammation of the gums. In addition, cabbage juice is useful for obesity. You can drink it for 30 minutes before a meal and between meals several times a day. It is undesirable to drink cabbage juice in the midst of acute gastritis and ulcers. But in the subacute period of pain and recovery, it can be very useful.
Pumpkin juice improves work of a gastroenteric tract, promotes the bile secretion. It has long been recommended for people with cardiovascular diseases, accompanied by edema. Particularly useful pumpkin juice at diseases of kidneys and liver. Apply it on a half-glass once a day. Insomnia is recommended for the night to drink a glass of pumpkin juice with honey; at stones in the kidneys and bladder - a quarter or half a glass of pumpkin juice three times a day. The course of treatment is 10 days.
Apple juice is useful in atherosclerosis, illnesses of a liver, bladder, kidneys, urinary stone disease. It can be drunk without damage to health in fairly large quantities - up to one liter per day. Contraindicated freshly squeezed Apple juice with acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease , and pancreatitis.
The conversation was led by Elena PETRENKO.